Research System Administrator
The Research System Administrator will build and manage servers and networks, hosts primarily running Linux, although general Windows administration will be beneficial. Management of hosts also includes assisting a subset of users who are using the systems. This role also includes collaborating with the IT department, monitoring security tools and addressing issues, handling the installation, distribution, control and removal of hardware. Monitoring and maintaining network servers such as file servers, VPN gateways and firewalls as well as documentation are all part of the job.
- Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization
- Install and upgrade computer components and software, purchase and manage virtual servers, and integrate automation processes
- Troubleshoot issues and outages
- Ensure security through access controls, backups and firewalls
- Lead desktop and helpdesk support efforts, making sure all desktop applications, workstations, and related equipment problems are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruptions
Skills & Experience
- Linux desktop and server administration (comfortable with linux command line)
- General Windows system administration including active directory
- Basic networking familiarity, including IP Addressing, Routing, Troubleshooting Storage Technologies/Protocols
- Storage technologies/protocols, including SMB/CIFS, NFS, S3, vSAN
- VPN Solutions, including OpenVPN, Wireguard, IPSEC Bare Metal Virtualization
- Bare Metal Virtualization VMware ESXi, vCenter
- Basic understanding of how to use cryptocurrency a plus
- IT Automation Technologies (Ansible) preferred
- pfSense experience a plus
- VMware Horizon or other VDI technologies preferred
- Familiarity with cloud-based technologies preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related field preferred
- Previous experience in the cybersecurity industry is preferred but not required
Required Soft Skills
Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate and exchange information including ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals with varied levels of understanding and authority within customer institutions. Ability to clearly and effectively document the areas of primary responsibility. A high level of accuracy, dependability, and responsibility is essential.
We believe in investing in people. We offer competitive compensation (based on experience), flexible schedule, and excellent benefits. This is a unique environment that’s likely more challenging than most, but offers excitement, reward, and a sense of accomplishment consistent with such endeavors.
Remote work options are available for highly qualified candidates. Remote workers are required to attend quarterly, in-person meetings.
All offers subject to candidate background check.